Sunday, April 01, 2007

Weekend whirlwind

This weekend has blown past with incredible speed, and I'm completely knackered, but I've had a great time. I took Friday off work to attend a lovely wedding at Polwarth Parish Church, followed by an elegant champagne reception and dinner at Howie's at Waterloo Place (which always reminds me of the posh restaurant Ferris Bueller blags his way into). The bride made almost everything herself, from her dress and the cakes to the invitations and the butterfly-shaped cookies we each got as favours. It was very impressive! A ceilidh and a disco followed in the evening and I'm still aching and a little bruised from the Dashing White Sergeant but, amazingly, blister-free (I packed a pair of ballet pumps in my bag). My mum made my dress for the occasion, which I was very pleased with, if I did flash a bit too much skin (I didn't heed my mother's warning to reinforce the neckline; I will next time).
On Saturday afternoon, Chris and I went to Edinburgh Zoo, ostensibly to see the penguins on parade, but we missed it by just a few minutes (we'll go back). However, we did see the four Asiatic lion cubs, which are really more like adolescents now (after we'd seen them, Chris asked where the cubs were), and an adorable, striped baby tapir, which was only born a month ago. My other favourites included the beautiful jaguar with big, soft paws the size of saucers dangling akimbo from his perch, the incredibly hyper and endearing pygmy hippos running and splashing around their enclosure, and the sea lions, just because they were so graceful. The Gentoo penguins were nesting, and I caught this shot of one standing over its egg; the one behind it was seemingly lying on its chick, to the distress of one of the onlooking children ("Mummy, that baby's going to DIE!!"). There aren't any giraffes at Edinburgh Zoo, so we're going to have to visit either Blair Drummond Safari Park or London Zoo sometime in the near future.

Today, the sun continued to shine, so we got out on our bikes and cycled along the coast from Leith to Cramond. It was the first lengthy ride I've done this year, so my backside and thighs are giving me some grief already; here's hoping I can sit down tomorrow. We had a lovely lunch (scampi, salad, chips and a Deuchars each) at the Old Chain Pier pub in Newhaven, where we watched sailboats, tugboats and seagulls go by outside the window; it was very peaceful and a great way to spend a sunny Sunday.

No comments: