Sunday, March 04, 2007

FO: Elizabeth Zimmerman Yoked Fair Isle Sweater

I finished this sweater -- my first fair isle project -- back in January and I've been very pleased with it. I followed EZ's instructions for the yoked fair isle sweater in Knitting Without Tears and added shaping and stopped short on the neckline to create more of a boatneck. Just because I'm lazy, I made the sleeves three-quarter length. It was also my first time using King Cole Anti-Tickle merino yarn, which I'd read great things about. I, too, enjoyed working with it (for the main colour), although it's not exactly non-itch when wearing. I appreciate its washability, though! The contrast colours are Sirdar Superwash Wool, which comes in lovely jewel-like colours, and it has a bit more sheen and softness to it than the King Cole. I'd definitely buy more of the Superwash.
Things I learned: short-row shaping at the neckline, fair isle technique.

Things I'd do differently: I'd remember to use a smaller needle for the ribbing on the cuffs and waistband.

For more photos, please see my Flickr site. I think there may be a cardigan version of this coming soon...

6 comments:

Ashbloem said...

Kathryn, this is wonderful! It looks just lovely on you and the fair isle is wonderful. After 3 years of knitting I am still scared on fair isle, but this inspires me to try.

Try soon-ish, anyway.

Ashbloem said...

Um, that is that I am scared OF fair isle.

Kathryn said...

Thank you! I was scared of trying fair isle for a long time, too, and I was nervous of using a chart, but it was actually really easy. It was very satisfying to see the pattern develop. I'm a big Elizabeth Zimmerman fan now.

Sarah said...

VERY impressed

beam aims north said...

That is a lovely sweater in beautiful colors. The wider neckline is very flattering.

Kathryn said...

Do you recognise it, Maribeth? It's the one I started when I was showing Patrycja and you how to knit at Christmastime.